This week we learned about we had a wonderful presentation from Tracey Humphreys from BCEdAccess.

BCCEdAccess is a volunteer-run organization that strives for the equitable access of education of all students. The organization provides a support group for parents to connect and works to help ensure students of all abilities are getting the adaptive support they need to be successful in School.

Tracey discussed the hurdles parents, students, and teachers face in accessing support and technology and how the system works.

Her top tips for New Teachers wondering where to start with assisting a student needing extra support were:

1. Read the IEP
  2. Ask the Family what the student needs
  3. Ask the student what they need to be successful
  4. Look at what you have available, what you can get easily, and what you may need to advocate for.
  5. Advocate for an assessment if needed

I really enjoyed Tracey’s presentation. This is a topic close to my heart as I have worked as an EA for the past 8 years. I have seen so many families struggle to navigate a rigid and reluctant system. In my experience, it often takes a long time (years) of advocacy for students to get some of the technologies they require. It can really wear down families when they have to constantly fight for their children to be at school and get what they need. As teachers, there is a limit to what you can do, it is important to keep fighting the fight for these students and families.

I previously worked with a student who was very restricted with their mobility. They couldn’t write, and typing was very slow as they could only use one finger at a time. Their speech was impeded to speak to text applications didn’t work for them. It took advocating from Kindergarten until Grade 5 for this student to get an eye tracker so they could type with their eyes. A five year battle! I know they are so happy with it now and are able to do schoolwork with their peers at the same pace. An amazing technology that shouldn’t have been such a fight to get.

I think it is important to lean into all the experts in the school system. There are so many dedicated Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Inclusion Coaches that can join in with you in the fight for equitable access to technology for all students.

I really appreciated Michael’s point that making adaptations available to everyone in the classroom can really help so many students. Captioning, visuals, headphones, speakers are useful tools for everyone so why not make it accessible for all.

Captioning App: Live Transcribe

Camera Read/translate: Google Lens

Finally Here is a great Video with Shelly Moore on Transforming Inclusive Education: