This week we discussed online learning: the good, the bad, the potential.

I personally enjoy online learning. I enjoy moving at my own pace. However, taking an entire semester of online classes is quite overwhelming. It is easy to become zoned out and disengage.

Michael mentioned that with online learning it is important to plan and sequence learning carefully so that students

• have the information they need to be successful
  • have the ability to connect with peers, the content, and teacher
  • have chances to practice and get feedback
  • have chances to bring in their own interests and culture

The class discussed accessibility issues. I think when you are sending work home of any kind, you need to be aware of what that will look like for your students. Not everyone has access to computers and some students don’t have adults at home able to help them.

I think the key is to be aware and sensitive to the needs of your students.

Since the pandemic, there has been a major shift in how education is delivered. Technology has shifted the knowledge structures into a more broad and diverse structure.

We also discussed different types on online learning delivery methods. I am most interested in learning about google classroom. Partly because that is what my Ed Tech presentation is on, partly because I think I will be using it often as a teacher. I’m interesting in taking the Google Classroom Teacher Training course (and the higher level one as well).

Some other great online resources we looked at:

IXL Math

Prodigy

Plickers for assessment.

We ended the class by exploring Minecraft. I had some technical issues entering the game while on zoom. However, I have seen it used in the classroom and played at home. All the different worlds offer many great learning opportunities while keeping the experience collectively engaging for the class.

Photo by Kaboompics .com from Pexels