I’m in the homestretch. Time to bind! First I trimmed off all the excess batting around my quilt. This is called squaring your quilt (mine is not so square hence avoiding the term). Then I watched this handy dandy tutorial from The Missouri Star Quilt Company:

Next, I needed to make the binding that goes around the outside of the quilt. I didn’t want to buy more fabric so I used a combo of orange fabric left over from making my quilt. Guess what I had to do first???? IRON the fabric…. because quilting is essentially ironing with occasional bouts of sewing. Then I cut long strips 2.5 inches wide. Then guess what??? I ironed them again! This time I ironed them in in half.

Once I had 8 strips of binding I sewed them together so that they created pretty diagonal lines (Then had to iron again to flatten the seams).

Then I sewed my binding onto the front side of the quilt. This was very satisfying

In order the finish my quilt I needed to hand stitch the back of the binding to the back of the quilt. This was a slow process for me but I was able to do it while on zoom secretly.

Hand stitching the binding on the back of the quilt

MAY I PRESENT TO YOU MY FINISHED QUILT!!!: which got immediate use as a block building island.

Special shout out to my iron who gets MVP for the quilting process